I had a wonderful opportunity to have a visit with Western's
writer in residence, Ivan Coyote. My first intro to Ivan was in our creative
writing class, it was announced she would be a guest speaker the following week, so I researched her work before the date. I read some excerpts
of her writing and watched many of her videos. She is a storyteller. Completely
engrossed (and with the odd tear) I watched and listened to every video I could
via YouTube and her website. Awesomeness.
In our creative writing class we are working on short
stories. This is new to me, but I trudge onward, pushing aside my self-degradation.
I chose a personal story, difficult subject matter lending to a cathartic
process. Within this process were many more processes to produce a written
piece.
I met with Ivan yesterday. I was of course very early, mostly
from fear of finding the right building and room. So I sat on a bench outside
the University College building and did some deep breathing. I did so to ground
myself and avoid the high probability of bursting into tears.
I finally went inside because I was freezing, gave up on
trying to control my temperature alongside my breaths. I walked inside. I stood
in the doorway for a while and gauged my watch for the appropriate moment to
walk up the stairs.
In the reception office I sat in a chair and waited for the minute
hand to reach the top. The sound of footsteps emanated from
the hall, and as the secretary guessed, it was her. (Another deep breath)
It was time.
She asked what I wanted from her in regards to my piece of
writing in front of us. I fumbled for what to say and mumbled something. She
clarified, I answered in too many words to be clear. I should have said, “Rip
the shit out of it please.” After I assured
her she didn’t need to take it easy on me, a wonderful communion took place.
She told me to close my eyes and imagine what it was I was
trying to describe, tell her what I saw, and after I spoke, she said “Yes,
write that down.” She discussed, shared,
and referred. She read to me passages aloud. Recommended
authors to read, specific works in light of mine. Delivered straight forward facts and realities
of practice that bestowed upon me eagerness, work I need to do.
I am proud to have a short story with Ivan's penned edits on it's pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment